Histopry of Quidenham Estate Shoot

A RENOWNED AND HISTORIC SHOOT IN NORFOLK

The History of Quidenham Estate

Quidenham Estate covers 3,600 acres of beautiful Norfolk countryside with 500 acres of mature woodland and over 40 shooting drives.

The Estate has hosted shooting parties for centuries. George Keppel, the 3rd Earl of Albemarle, acquired it in 1755 and through successive Earls, it was developed into a high-quality shoot renowned in British society not only for its sport but its hospitality.

King Edward VII was a regular visitor to Quidenham, with his first visit in 1897 when he was Prince of Wales. The Estate gained some notoriety as it was widely reported that Alice Keppel, sister-in-law to the 8th Earl of Albemarle, became one of the King’s favourite mistresses. The King would routinely arrive at what is now Eccles Road railway station on the Royal Train complete with a vast entourage of servants.

By the turn of the 20th Century, Lord Albemarle’s shooting parties were at their peak and had become very grand events with the estate keeper on horseback leading teams of up to 50 beaters on a shoot day.

The Estate remained in the Keppel family until 1948 when it was acquired by the Carmelites, who now run Quidenham Hall as a monastery. Part of the grounds were also used by East Anglia’s Children’s Hospices (EACH) until recently. The shooting rights for the estate were acquired by Quidenham Estate Shoot.

Nullam quis risus eget urna mollis ornare vel eu leo. Aenean lacinia bibendum nulla sed